Success, with reservations
June 30, 2011 § 1 Comment
Well, I finished the Nurgake. There were some issues, and I think I need to re-measure myself because the sweater came out the size I expected but doesn’t fit me as expected. Which is not to say that it’s not lovely, just not what I expected.
The biggest issue I had (after I did all the previously noted mathy adjustments) was that I ran out of yarn about three inches short of where I wanted to be, and since I was using well-marinated stash I knew I wouldn’t be finding any more any time soon.
I actually already knew at that point that it wasn’t fitting as closely as I expected, and I considered just ripping it out and starting over. Then I came to my senses and looked around my studio for a coordinating yarn. I settled on some Elsbeth Lavold Silky Tweed in a dark green. I stuck with the same needle, but the Silky Tweed a little bit thinner so it made a drapier fabric. The gauge is actually slightly tighter, too, and I think if I was going to do it again I’d switch to a larger needle, which would of course give me an even lacier fabric but I think it’d be fine since it’s so far down on the sweater.
Because of the difference in texture, I decided to do an eyelet row when joining, and then another a few rows before binding off. To tie it all together I picked up and worked a few rows around the neckline with the Silky Tweed as well. I don’t absolutely love how it turned out, but I’m pretty pleased with it. It’s comfy and moderately flattering, and I’m pretty proud of being this successful considering how many moderations I ended up making to the pattern. I got quite a few compliments at work, and considering where I work that’s a pretty good indicator of project success.